The birth went very well. On Wednesday evening we had finished dinner and were just relaxing in the living room, Luli was playing with toys, and I was laying on the couch when suddenly my water broke! Now, this had not happened to me before so we really didn't know how much time we had. So you can imagine the excitement. Oresti was flying around the room throwing clothes in a bag, trying to find his shoes. I was waddling into the bedroom with Luli behind wondering what all this water was:) We got in the car and sped off to the hospital, all the while with Luli saying in the back seat, "Mami broke water". We met my parents at the hospital who took Luli home with them to stay. They decided at our hospital that because I was not 36 weeks yet that I would need to be transfered to the other hospital because they had a NICU. I was transfered by ambulance and Oresti followed in the car. By the time we got there at midnight I was 4cm. I decided to go for the epidural around 4am and by 7am I was all ready to push. They took me into the OR since I was having twins and you would have thought I was the highlight of the whole hospital. There were so many people in the room! There was a NICU team for each baby, tons of doctors, nurses, pediatritions, and a few students. And of course Oresti:) He came in at 7:30 and I started pushing at about 7:40am. At 7:52 Sofia was born. She looked exactly like Luli when we saw her (and she still does, although a little skinnier). She has hardly any fat on her so I'm trying my best to fatten her up. She is only 5lbs 1oz and 17 inches long. She is so itty bitty but so sweet.
In between births we were hearing reports from the NICU team that Sofia was perfectly healthy, no need for incubation.
Then I began pushing again and little Mira began to arrive. She was slightly transverse so they used forceps to guide her head down (I thank God I had decided to get the epidural!) She was born at 8:05am and is slightly bigger, 5lbs 13oz and 18 inches long. They're both shorter than Luli was. Mira is our chub, she's got the roundest, chubby cheeks that are so squishable! She is very easy going and only gets excited when she's hungry. She's got her Mama's dimpled chin and it looks to us like slightly red hair, although it's hard to tell now. They are both more fair skinned than Luli was.
Anyway, I was back in the recovery room by 8:30am and calling my parents with the news! I would say it was a very easy birth and just so much fun to be surprised with 2 little girls! Oresti did great in the delivery room and I'm just so glad he got to witness the birth of our girls. They did ask him if he wanted to cut the cord on one of them and he said, no that's ok:) He's saying now "maybe next time".
Well, here are some pictures from the hospital stay. Luli came with my parents a few hours after they were born and was so excited to see two babies! She seems to love them and loves to give them kisses and to point out their noses, toes, ears, etc.
Our new family
Sweet little Sofia
smiling Sofi
Sweet {and chubby!} Ermira
Mira
Mira on the left, Sofia on the right
Sweet Sisters! Don't you just love pink and polk-a-dots!
Mama and her twin girls! Mira on the left, Sofia on the right

6 comments:
oh Katie! Be still my heart! What precious little bundles, I can't wait to kiss and cuddle them...counting down the days:).
Oh my gosh Katie! They are absolutely adorable. I love Mira's dimple. How sweet. And you're right, Sofi does look a lot like Luli as a baby. What a blessing. I wish I could squeeze on them. I'm so glad to hear everything went well and you are home safe.
Love you!
One more thing. I sent you an e-gift card just now to your e-mail address. I've never done that before, so let me know if you get it ok.
Katie - Such tiny bundles of sweetness:):) I agree, Sofia reminds me of Luli at birth, and Mira has the Bilansky look I think. Oh, you look so happy and totally contented! My first impression of Mira is she looks like Mawgy - must be those chubby little cheeks:) You know we'll all be checking your blog often to look for any new pics:) It's so fun for all of us!! Take good care of yourself and just enjoy your precious girls. Sending a big hug for Oresti.
Love you all,
Aunt Melanie and Uncle Dan
Such beautiful photos! What a blessed birth story. I'm so thankful for all that God has blessed you with. Your girls are so precious. I can't wait to see them & your new larger family. I agree that you look so contented. Fills my heart with joy to see you and your little ones.
Katie and Oresti!
Dear congratulations from us!
Hugs,
Katri & Topi
Post a Comment