Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Dressmaking

I have always wanted to learn how to sew clothing, particularly little girls dresses. From the time that I was in middle school and high school, I would try to sew something and always fail. I never liked following a pattern, but I just couldn't seem to figure out how the dresses were put together. Then, this past Christmas, I decided to give it one more try and I {somewhat} followed a pattern and made the girls their Christmas dresses. I don't have photos of them, but they were basic and okay. Nothing too exciting. But I FINALLY learned the basics! I learned how the collar gets put in and I learned how to put the sleeves in and how to puff them! So, I decided that was enough of the patterns and I've been making some dresses by looking at a vintage one of my mom's. I love 50s style of baby clothes! I can't believe I was actually able to make this without a pattern. I thought about taking apart my mom's dress so that I could cut out my fabric better, but then I was worried about how I would put my mom's dress back together. So, I just eyeballed it. I've got one of the twins dresses done, and I'm almost finished with the other twin's. Here is the finished one.










And, this brings me to my next idea:) I've got roughly 14 weeks left of the pregnancy. {I really have 16 but I always go early} and I've got enough different fabric to make 14 more dresses! So. . . that's a dress a week! Can I do it? I have no idea, but I think I want a challenge! So, I will attempt to finish all 14 dresses in 14 weeks. I'll post the final dress each Friday in the coming weeks. We'll see! The next one will be the identical one to this one, this coming Friday.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

so cute!!! Can I order some for my girls? You're so tallented, such a crafty mama! My greatest sewing accomplishment was Christmas stockings.