Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bougatza!

I have no idea if I spelled that right or not. It's a Greek dessert or breakfast depending on when you eat it. I love it in the morning with a hot cup of coffee but it's also very good right after dinner! We had it both ways on New Years Day. I was determined to make an authentic Albanian/Greek dinner complete with Bougatza! It requires making filo dough, which I love doing and then it's a custard filling. To top it off you sprinkle it with powdered sugar and cinnamon. It was so worth the trouble! The best bougatza is in Thessaloniki. I have fond memories of taking trips there and waking up early with Oresti to go get breakfast. Then we would stroll through the outside markets. They were much larger in Thessaloniki and had everything you can imagine. Ahhhh, such good memories of Greece.
Anyway, here's the bougatza I made.




7 comments:

Maryann said...

I must have some of that!!! Does it ship well?!?!? =)

Maryann said...

By the way, I love your new header. I think below it you should add "Pray for us!"
(cuz you certainly need it)
xo

Aunt Melanie said...

Oh, that looks divine!! Can I put in an order in advance for my next visit to Texas?? Mmmmmm!

Sarah said...

yum! Are you sharing the recipe? Is filo dough hard to make?

Anonymous said...

I love the looks of that piece and would love to have it for dinner tonight. When I was a child, custard pie was a favorite dessert and I would eat the custard and leave the crust but that filo crust looks delicious! That is a favorite memory of my childhood on a farm in Kansas.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! My mouth is watering. That looks delicious.

Gma Betty said...

I'm the "anonymous" commenter:) I wasn't sure how to do it, but now I know!! I would LOVE to have some of that pie:) Save me some!