Thursday, October 18, 2007

Shopping Experiences in Greece

Yesterday I headed out to our neighborhood grocery store. They have this weird setup there where you have to pay for the meat you get right at the butcher's station. So, all I had was 20 euros. I bought a chicken thigh, and started to hand her my 20. She got all huffy and started to yell at me for not having smaller. I showed her I didn't have smaller and she was still all upset. So, being rather tired and 9 months pregnant and not feeling like being yelled at in greek, I calmly said (in English, because I couldn't think quick enough in greek) never mind, I don't want to buy it. And I started to walk away. But then the other ladies who were around the counter told me to wait and they figured out the change. This is one of the irritating things about living here, everywhere you shop, they expect you to have the right change! No one wants to figure out the change here. I was so annoyed by this experience as I walked home with my chicken thigh.
Later, however, I needed to go out again to the vegetable market. Every wednesday its on a street close to our house. I only had 3.50 euros left and I didn't think I could get much, however, amazingly I made that stretch and was able to get so much! The last thing I wanted was a cabbage and I only had 1 euro left. I went to a table and asked the lady how much for 1, and she said 80 cents per kilo and and told her I only had 1 euro left, she weighed the smallest one and it would cost 1.60. I thought I would just have to go home without the cabbage, but she said go ahead and take it! I need to find her next wednesday and pay her the rest and buy another cabbage from her:) It was so refreshing to be treated with kindness!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

wow! It's amazing how different cultures opperate so differently! So much for the old American ethic that the customer is always right eh? But how nice to experience that grace and kindness in the same day. I guess it goes to show you that within every culture, there are mean and nice people. I guess we just always strive to be the nice person who makes someone's day. Counting down the days with you! All in good time. "Talk" to you soon! Travis should have the headset for me by the end of the week, then we can schedule our call.
Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I can't wait to hear more about your baby girl.
love,
~Kirstin