Friday, April 23, 2010

Rough Week

This week started out with so much promise. I began Monday with potty training Luli! She did so well, after a few initial accidents, she quickly got the hang of things and went so easily on her little potty. Then Monday night we got her up to use the potty before we went to bed and we noticed she was burning up. She had a fever of about 104. We gave her some medicine and put her back to bed. Next day her fever was down to about 99, and I wasn't going to continue potty training until I was sure she was okay. But she wanted her diaper off and she wanted to use the potty. All morning, she more or less took herself to the potty. I barely had to remind her! But then at lunch time I took her temp and it was up to about 103. But she was still running around playing ( a little slower than usual, but still playing). Then at dinner we took her temp again and I could not believe what I saw. 107. I took it again and again. I took all of our temps, thinking something was wrong with the thermometer. But no, her temp was really that high. We quickly gave her tylenol and put her in a lukewarm bath. That really helped, it started going down, 105, then 103, then after the bath it was 101. But throughout the night it kept going up to 105 and 106. We did not sleep much, about every hour we were checking her. Then Wednesday her fever was back up around 105. I kept giving either tylenol or advil and putting her in the tub. It would help for a little while but then her fever would spike back up. Then in the evening we decided to take her to the emergency room. I had tried all afternoon to call the doctor but no answer (I didn't know Wednesday they had half days). We got to the ER and had her registered, and wouldn't you know her fever was down and she felt fine then. We were told it would be at least an hour wait and the waiting room was stuffed with sick kids. Luli freaked out that we were there, and she had to be held (I was not going to let her touch anything!). So after several minutes of her crying and struggling, we decided to come home and try the doctor in the morning. Her fever of course spiked back up through the evening and during the night. I called in the morning and we got right in. Thankfully Oresti was able to take the day off and my mom came to watch the twins. Turns out Luli has Strep. I didn't realize it could give someone such a high temp. But she's on the mend now. Her fever has been gone today but she is very irritable and I'm guessing her throat hurts because she keeps saying her mouth hurts. Poor girl.

I'll tell you it's not easy trying to nurse two babies, keep a cranky two year old happy and comfortable, keep babies away from sick two year old, keep eating and drinking so you can feed two babies, give sick two year old medicine she really doesn't like, and blog at the same time:)

Lets hope next week is better. Maybe I'll give potty training another try.

















Well, on a lighter note. Guess who's totally excited that the FIRST tomato appeared on one of our plants?!


Well, Mama, but also. . .





Mira!






I did a little tomato dance for her today and she totally caught the tomato craze!









Sofia, on the other hand, didn't see what the big deal was.


Hmmmm, maybe she just will need to try them to catch the craze.


3 comments:

Amber L. said...

Oh no. Poor girl. Glad to hear you figured it out and she's on the mend. Way to go on the potty training though. That's awesome. It's so nice when there all out of diapers.

Maryann said...

Bless your heart Katie! That must have been sooo rough. It is no fun being spread so thin like that. I'm glad you are all coming out the other side of this. Praying that Luli is better soon and no one else gets it! Love and Kisses!!

Aunt Melanie said...

Oh Katie:( You guys must've been totally drained after that ordeal! Emergency rooms can be a nightmare! I've spent too much time in them over the years - BUT you do what you have to do at the time. So glad little Luli is better now. Aren't antibiotics amazing when they're needed! Praying for you all, especially Mira and Sofia for protection from strep:) Love you!