Friday, November 24, 2006

Life goes on:)










Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile. Here are some pictures of the apartment, we've decorated a little bit, but not much. Soon, we'll get things on the walls, although the bareness doesn't bother me now, since we have so many colors on the walls:)
I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving! we did, we were invited to share a meal with about 30 others, mostly Americans who attend a university here in a study abroad program. Its through a university in Missouri, called Drury. They have a fantastic program, if anyone is interested, and they take cool trips throughout the semester. anyway, the food was a greek spin on traditional american dishes, but it was good! I had turkey and stuffing so I was happy:)
We've gotten into our own little routine now, Oresti goes to work around 8:30 and comes home around 4 or 5pm. On wednesdays I shop at the outdoor fruit and vegetable market. I have my little cart that I fill up with all kinds of goodies, but the staples I cook with are potatos, onions, zucini, eggplant, cabbage (for winter salads), and tomatos. last week they had some dried fruit and I got some dried pineapple, oh so good! Its been a good exercise for me to learn the greek words for the vegetables. I've made some mistakes. Like, recently I thought I had learned the greek word for dill, but I had learned the Albanian word. And to make it worse, I didn't know what I was looking for (i didn't know it was dill that I needed). So I went and asked for the thing in Albanian, they looked at me weird and asked if I meant something similar sounding, so I said sure, and took this green leafy thing. Then I picked up some dill because I wanted some. So, when Oresti's mom came over and was helping me with a dish, she asked if I got dill (in the Albanian word) and I said I think so, and showed her the green leafy thing, she said no thats not it. a little later i pulled out the dill because I thought maybe we should add some, and she said, That's it!! I was so confused, but then later I learned I had been saying the Albanian word. oh well!
Greek school should be starting soon, that'll help. Oh the picture of me with the flowers is on my birthday, oresti gave me 26 roses:)

No comments: