Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Day at the Hospital

Well, you can tell by the title that this wasn't a holiday. I had been feeling extra sick this last week and a half, not keeping much down and feeling really dizzy and tired. So, we decided to go visit our doctor at the hospital and talk to him about it. Before we could even see the doctor, they whipped me into a room and began hooking me up to an IV (not before hitting a blood vessel and spraying my blood everywhere). It was all rather scary since they insisted that Oresti leave the room before they started, so that and the blood had me quite upset. Then after lying in that room for awhile (Oresti still wasn't allowed back to see me), a bird flew through the open window and was flopping around on the floor! I called for help and finally a nurse came in, but only shut me up in the room alone with the bird! But, thankfully the bird found his way out through the window. So much for a disinfected hospital examing room! There's no air conditioning here, so all the windows are open.

So, then the doctor comes in and tells me they want to keep me for the day. So, they move me to a regular room, one with 10 beds in it. There are women there with various problems, but most are pregnancy related or they just had a baby. Strangely, I noticed we were all foreigners in this room, mostly Albanian. The other rooms have beds for 3 or 4 people, and those were greeks. Hmmmm.

So I laid there all day, with Oresti coming in and out and my friend Becca also visiting me. They never really checked on me much but they kept saying I needed to stay longer because my blood work wasn't ready. Then they said I needed to stay over night, and that was the last straw. I told Oresti I would not do that, and he went and talked to the doctors and they said they didn't want me to leave, but if I wanted to I had to sign a paper saying I was releasing myself. I signed. I was feeling sicker lying in that bed and they didn't allow me to eat food at first. I'm doing a lot better now. I'm still not gaining weight, but hopefully now will be the time that I put on. Please keep us in your prayers, I think the baby is fine, he/she is still very active. We have our next appointment on the 28th of June where they will do a big ultrasound.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself and the baby!! Hope you are feeling better, Katie!

Lots of love,
~Kirstin